About Phoenix Reisen
The German tour operator Phoenix Reisen was founded in 1973. In 1988 they started cruising the oceans with the charter of the ship Maxim Gorki. Starting as a pure ocean shipping company, Phoenix Reisen expanded its range in 1993 to include the popular river cruises. The four well-known ocean liners are now joined by more than 30 river ships as well as a few smaller ships for exceptional destinations. The shipping company is still in family hands and attaches great importance to a friendly and pleasant atmosphere aboard their ships.
The MS Sofia has been part of the Phoenix fleet for many years and offers a classic mid-range river experience. The friendly Bulgarian ship crew will spoil you with good food and excellent service. The sundeck with pool invites you to relax and sunbathe. On board you will also find a panoramic bar or the piano bar where you can comfortably end the evening or two. During the day, the reading corner in the piano bar provides further opportunities for retreat. For wellness lovers, MS Sofia offers a sauna, as well as a hairdresser and a massage parlor. 130 passengers can be accommodated on the approx. 113 m long ship on 3 passenger decks.
- Built in: 1984
- Renovation: 2001
- Length: 113.5 m
- Width: 16 m
- Depth: 1.65 m
- Language: German
- Currency: Euro
- Smoking: Permitted in designated areas on the sundeck
The outside staterooms are between 10 sqm and 11 sqm in size. Functionally but comfortably furnished, all staterooms offer shower/WC, a separate washbasin in the stateroom, a hairdryer, an adjustable air supply, a TV, a radio, a telephone and a daily newspaper. The voltage is 230 V AC. Many staterooms have an extra bed, which can be turned down to a cosy sitting area during the day. The staterooms on the Europa deck have small windows, on the main deck there are large windows that can be opened (except cabins 256-259).
Atmosphere on board of Sofia
As on all Phoenix ships, the atmosphere on board the MS Sofia is cosy and informal with a classic ambience. The dress code on board is casual. At the traditional captain's dinner a more elegant wardrobe is expected, but evening wear is not needed here either. Regional events, live music and light entertainment will make your trip an all-round successful river experience. Due to the fact that the tour operator is a German company the onboard language is German and guests pay their bills in Euro.
On board the MS Sofia all-inclusive board will be offered. Enjoy a rich breakfast buffet, multi-course lunches and dinners, as well as afternoon coffee/tea and midnight snacks. On request, meals can also be prepared gluten-free, lactose-free or diabetic-friendly. The experienced and friendly kitchen and service team will spoil you with good European cuisine. House wines, beers, soft drinks such as coke, lemonade, mineral water, juices and coffee/tea are included daily from 08:00 to 24:00. The traditional captain's reception, offered on many trips, as well as the captain's dinner with a festive menu complete the culinary offer.
Entertainment, sports & relaxation
On board a selection of books, board and card games is at your disposal. Regular dance evenings with live music are offered. Also wellness lovers are in good hands on board the MS Sofia. Sauna, hairdresser and massage (currently for a fee) as well as the heatable swimming pool invite you to relax. From the spacious sundeck you have a wonderful view over the passing river landscape.
Sofia shore excursions
Through a variety of shore excursions, you have the opportunity to get to know the country and its people along the route. The excursion program is adapted to the length of stay of the ship and is accompanied by qualified tour guides. The excursions are usually in German language. The shore excursions can be booked directly on board or partly in advance online at the shipping company. Girocard and VISA/MasterCard are accepted on board. At some cruises a variety of shore excursions is already included.
If you want to travel on the river in a classic atmosphere and enjoy the beauty of the Danube, then you are just right on board MS Sofia.
Our rating of the Sofia:
|Comfort and luxury|
|Comfort and luxury|
|Spa and wellness|
Our customers say:
|Overall rating of ship|
More Feedback from our customers about this ship (click for details)
Cruise in one sentence
- At times the cabin could be uncomfortably warm.
- Three bed cabin with 2 lower and 1 upper bed on the lower deck....
- An outside cabin on the lowest deck with the windows just above the water line. All cabins on this ship are small but incredibly laid out. This cabin is equipped with upper and lower bunk beds which folded away during the day. Hand basin is outside the bathroom....
- Bad beds
- one bed was very noise I wake up every time I move cabin clean, very good service
- Very confortable, exellent use of the available space of few square metres.
- Small, with two singles, but comfortable
- Being the only non German speaking guests,Our waiter Plamen made our cruise. All staff are Balgarian and some speak english and are quite happy to do so.Downloading google Translate was an asset.
- Excellent customer focussed staff, no hard sells and great assistance give selflessly to passengers re: orientation information for each port.
- The AI package included regular tea / coffee, juices, fizzy drinks, house wines and beers. Hard drinks were affordable at pub prices. Food was excellent. Breakfast was a regular German buffet with breads, cold cuts, cheeses, fresh and tinned fruits, juices, smoked fish, hard boiled eggs and cereals....
- nice and clean ship
- The staff working on board were all fantastic. Congratulations to all.
- The food was remarkably, and unexpectedly, top quality. Service by the Bulgarian crew was top notch. We were advised in advance that this was a German speaking ship and that's certainly true - we were the only English speaking passengers aboard....